Pages

Friday, September 5, 2008

Chow Hounds

My chillen's have always been very good eaters. When my oldest was just a wee one he would happily devour Chicken Tika Masala at our favorite Indian food restaurant, munch on tofu sticks and raw veggies at snack time and even thought cat food was quite tasty. I was, and continue to be, the envy of many of my friends whose own children will touch nothing but string cheese and Cheerios.

But I have to confess that having two "very good eaters" has it's trials and tribulations as well. It's not all sunshine and happiness at my place either you know. If fact, my kids eat so much that I usually feel like a short order cook, chained to my kitchen all hours of the day and night. Sometimes I wonder if they have eating disorders because they never seem to stop eating. Just so you don't think I'm blowing this all out of proportion, check out the following example of a days worth of meals and snacks that I have to prepare just for my 17 mo old. I won't even talk about what my oldest eats in one day - I don't have time to write a post that long and detailed! So anyway - below is what The Destoyer eats on a typical day.

Breakfast - 8:30 a.m. Scrambled eggs (usually 2 whole eggs), milk, half a banana, yogurt, quarter piece of toast with peanut butter.

Snack - 10:00 a.m. - Usually some crackers, more fruit and some more milk.

Lunch - 11:30 or 12 - Diced chicken, green beans, cucumbers, more fruit like grapes or diced apples, juice, yogurt

Snack - 3:00 Two cups of a smoothie -made with whole milk, bananas, yogurt,and strawberries and some crackers or Baby Mum Mums or a toddler fruit bar.

Snack -5:00 - Juice and one or two of the above things he didn't eat at 3:00

Dinner - 6:30 - What the family is eating plus additional veggies, fruit and milk

Bedtime snack - his favorite - another banana and some milk

Now if you're thinking "whoa! that's a shit load of food" just wait -he doesn't stop there. Two to three nights a week he wakes up at 2 or 3 am and yells "EAT!" "EEEEAAATT" until I go get him and take him into the kitchen for yet another feeding. His favorite snack to eat is some more milk, a cereal bar and either a plum or a banana.

Now if you're thinking "HOLY SHIT" her kids must be PORKERS - I swear they're not. The Destroyer is 17 mos and 18-24 mos clothing is still a little too big for him and Captain Crazy is a stringy, sliver of muscle with a skin covering.

They're obviously going through some kind of super crazy growth spurts which I really hope slows down here soon. I just can't stop wondering how it's going to be when they're (gulp) teenagers. I think we might need to start saving for an extra fridge now.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Wow! Your toddler eats way more than I do. At least he is eating healthy food. If I recorded what I ate on a typical day you would see lots of chocolate and diet soda. Unfortunately, my daughter is very picky and her taste changes on a daily basis. I do a happy dance whenever she finishes her yogurt.