Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Love Speak

I love to say "I love you". I really, really do. I tell my kids and my hubby I love them several times a day. I tell my cat I love her. I tell the chocolate I eat almost daily that I love it. I tell my closest girlfriends I love them. I tell my closest girlfriends' kids I love them too. I just believe that a person can't hear "I love you" enough!

I know my penchant for the "L" word has something to do with how I was raised. My parents told me they loved me all the time and encouraged me to be open with my feelings. I was also a very affectionate kid. I remember draping myself like a blanket across my dad's lap and making him scratch my back for hours while he watched t.v. I remember him telling my mom that they would be in some serious trouble if I ever found a boy who knew my weaknesses.

Well, fast forward 20 - something odd years. I didn't find that boy who will scratch my back for hours on end. In fact, he's quite the opposite -he's not a very good snuggler, he doesn't say "I love you" very often, and he scoffs at sappy, romantic movies and commercials. We both joke about how he doesn't have a romantic bone in his body.

Yet, despite all of this, he's the best boy a girl could ever wish for. He's thoughtful and respectful, he's faithful to the core, he cooks, cleans, does the laundry, takes care of the yard, and does anything else that's he's asked to do. He's a hard worker and he's responsible with money. He would rather hang out with his family then go out with his friends. And he buys amazing birthday gifts. He's an incredible father who always has time for his boys. He's gentle and kind and believes that actions speak louder than words.

I will be honest, when we first began dating, I had some trouble getting used to his reserved nature. I, of course, told him I loved him first -which completely freaked him out. It took him something like 6 or 7 loooong months to tell me he loved me. By then, I knew him well enough to know that he meant it with all his heart.

Today I'm a lot easier on him. We joke about how he has passed on his "snuggling duties" to The Captain (I swear that kid would snuggle with a cactus if he could) and I don't freak out if he doesn't say "I love you" for several weeks. All I have to do is stop and watch him be him and I hear it loud and clear.

Head on over to Sprite's Keeper for a whole bunch 'o lovin and some really great Spins.

5 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Ooh, I love how you tied all of it together in the end! It sounds like he treats you like a queen, save the back scratches. John will offer me a foot rub from time to time which I love, but his level of concentration varies so sometimes it will be so nice, others it's like he squeezes the foot once and he's done. But I do see the love in the way he treats me and Sprite. (And he DOES say it a lot, probably more than me!) You're linked!

RatalieNose said...

I don't know much about it...but that sounds like True Love to me!

Casey said...

Awww, the actions are so much more important than the words. He sounds like a keeper.

Bex said...

I think opposites attract. My hubs and I are very different in many areas. We have some friends: the wife is my BFF and a lot like my hubs - her hubs is a lot like me. Isn't that funny how we are drawn to what is very different from our own personalities?

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

This is a great spin. My husband says "I love you" a lot even though he wasn't brought up that way. I was brought up in a very affectionate family, while his family barely talks or hugs. Still, I lucked out because he loves to hug me, almost to the point that sometimes I need my space and am a little bothered by it, but at the same time if he didn't hug me .. . I'd be worried. Sounds like we both lucked out with our men! :-)

(And Hubby is awesome at picking out gifts too. He's a natural at that and buying cards!)