Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Downsized....and I'm not talking about my waistline.

The inevitable has finally happened - I have been "let go" as of today. Or I guess I should say "temporarily" let go as of today.

I'm really not surprised - the writing on the wall has been there for quite a few months. Our work has slowed down to barely a drizzle and it's been painfully slow and boring at work.

My boss is calling this a "temporary thing" and has already told me that he will need me back on board in as soon as a month or two if the company wins any of the project bids that we currently have out right now.

So for now my plan is to apply for unemployment and COBRA and to look at the positives in this situation - which to me appear to be numerous. To begin with, I'm going to get to spend more time with my boys and they will be super happy about that. Secondly, this could be the break I need to decide if this is the path I want to continue down. I stumbled into this work quite on accident and just kept chugging along quite frankly because the job fit my needs at the time. But now I'll have a chance to look at what else is out there and actually go for other opportunities without feeling like I'm going behind my boss' back. If I do decide this is what I want to do and here is where I want to be, then it will only be a matter of time until things return to work as usual around here, and I can definitely live with that.

My biggest concern in this whole situation is my poor husband. I think I better have a nice cold beer waiting for him when I break the news to him tonight!

4 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear this! I saw the headline in my Reader and the pit of my stomach dropped. I hate reading this and I've been reading this so much lately.
I hope this helps you with deciding what you want to do and the time with your boys is all bonus.

Casey said...

Ugh, sorry to hear about your unemployment status but yay for spending time with the kids! Here's hoping they get those contracts soon.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Oh wow! I'm sorry to hear this, but I hope you can get back to work when it is all said and done. Do apply for the unemployment and keep us updated on how it all goes.

(And I agree with Sprite's Keeper and Casey...UGH!)

Bex said...

i am so sorry! we have been there too. these are hard times. remember the song, "On the sunny side of the street" from the musical 42nd street? if you look at the bright side, more time for blogging? oh yeah, and spending time with kids (how selfish of me!)