Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The perfect day

This past Saturday was one of those perfect days. You know the kind I'm talking about - the one where everything goes as planned, the kids are happy and extra-loveable, the birds are chirping, the sun is shining, and your hair looks good even though you didn't shower. Ah yes, I love those days. I wish I had more of them - many more of them but alas I don't. So when I am blessed with one, I'm giddy as all get out and I savor them like a wine lover savors a fine Pinot - breathing it it's aroma, experiencing every last drop.

The day started out like any other Saturday - awakened at the crack of dawn by my baby yelling "mmmaaammmaa daa baa baa" from his crib. I stumbled to his room, picked up his chubby, warm little body and breathed in his intoxicating babyness like I do every morning. Then I opened the blinds and.......taaaa daaaaa! Sunshine! Now maybe to you sunshine is no big deal, but in Oregon, in the middle of winter, it is A BIG DAMN DEAL! Baby in arms, I ran to our bedroom and screamed at my still unconcious hubby, "Get up, get up, get up! The sun is shining! We have TO GO!"
"What the hell....are you yelling about? Go where?"
"I don't know - anywhere. Outside."
A couple hours later, after breakfast and the baby's morning nap, we were outside at the park with picnic lunches in tow -all of us soaking up the sunshine and warmth like bonedry sponges. Oregon winters can be harsh. Not really cold or snowy or even particularly cold. Just very drab and gray and cloudy. You can literally go weeks and weeks without seeing the sun. So when Mother Nature serves up a sunny, rain-free day in the middle of winter you can bet yer boots that folks are going to enjoy it. It's not uncommon to see people standing still, staring straight at the sun like they're trying to soak up as many rays as possible to tide them over till the next sunny day.

Now I would love to tell you that the sun hung around all day, but it didn't. The clouds started rolling in towards the end of our morning, but we were thankful for what we did get - a nice long walk in the park, a picnic in the back of the van and lots of family time outside. It was wonderful day and nice reminder of all the great things to come.

No comments: